Cook The Perfect Christmas Turkey
Norfolk Black turkeys are hung for seven days, and therefore need a shorter cooking time.
Allow approximately 15 to 20 minutes per pound in a conventional oven, and adjust for a fan-assisted or non-conventional oven.
- Rinse your turkey with cold water and pat it dry with kitchen towel, then set it in a large baking tray and smear it with butter, good dripping or a few rashers of streaky bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover with kitchen foil and cook in a preheated oven at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 30 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 150C/300F/Gas 2, and baste the turkey once every hour. For the last 30 minutes increase the temperature back to 200C/400F/Gas 6, as this helps draw the flavour and moisture back from the bone.
- Uncover the bird for the last 15 minutes to brown. The turkey is cooked when its juices run clear when pricked with a knife.
- Allow it to rest for half an hour before carving. The meat closest to the bone should still be light pink in appearance.
Serve with brussels sprouts, honey-roasted parsnips, carrots, potatoes, our very own Chestnut & Thyme Stuffing Mix and Cranberry & Orange Relish
From all at Peeles Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!